Date: 13th April 2008 at 10:38pm
Written by:

Aberdeen crashed out of the Scottish Cup at the penultimate hurdle to first division Queen of the South. Queens took the lead 4 times and Aberdeen responded the first 3 but ex-Don John Stewart scored what proved to be the winner in the last of a crazy 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half which produced 5 goals.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood opted to start with the same 11 that overcame Falkirk 2-1 in midweek that secured the Dons a top 6 finish in the league. Queen of the South started with 3 former Dons in their starting line-up – Jamie McQuilken, Neil MacFarlane and Steve Tosh.

And it was the latter that gave the South a shock lead in the 22nd minute. Goalkeeper Derek Soutar came out to catch a long free-kick but dropped the ball at the feet of Andy Aitken. He knocked it back to Tosh who slotted the ball into the top right corner.

With 10 minutes remaining in the first half though, Nicholson floated in a free-kick, Severin headed the ball back towards goal and defender Andy Considine rose above all and headed the ball past the helpless MacDonald to pull Aberdeen level.

At half time no-one could have predicted what would happen in the next 15 minutes. It all started when another former Don, John Stewart, who replaced the injured Stephen Dobbie in the first half, outpaced Diamond and played the ball across the box to Burns, who at second effort fired the ball past Soutar into the top left corner.

Three minutes later MacDonald did well to save a Miller header from 8 yards but Barry Nicholson, who like Miller looks likely to be leaving in the summer, blasted the ball into the roof of the practially empty net.

But only another three minutes past before Aberdeen were behind again. Considine failed to connect with a long hopeful ball and Sean O’Connor took one touch past Diamond before slotting the ball past Soutar.

And yes, we only had to wait three more minutes before Aberdeen drew level for the third time. Nicholson’s corner was headed back to him but his second attempt was headed on by Miller whose header was met by the totally unmarked Considine at the far post who calmly finished the job with his head for his 2nd of the match.

But Aberdeen fans had hardly finished celebrating when less than a minute later, John Stewart came back to haunt Aberdeen when Alan Maybury was caught in a terrible case of ball watching. Three Dons players went for the ball and Maybury’s man Stewart found the ball at his feet 7 yards from goal and he took his chance, smashing the ball past Soutar.

In added time Aberdeen were incredibly unlucky not to send the game into extra time. You could tell it was Queens’ day when Zander Diamond hit the bar and then post in the space of two seconds. His header rocked the frame of the goal with MacDonald left standing and then his volley bounced through everyone and hit the wrong side of the woodwork.

The whistle blew and Queen of the South were through to their first ever Scottish Cup final.